Continuing to receive Government support after leaving the country


There is a family living in Government provided accommodation in Britain that would like to make hijrah and rent out the property after they have left the country, but the Government will take back the house once it is aware that they have left the country.

So is it permissible for them to leave Britain without informing the Government in order to keep the house and rent it out without the Government knowing?


It is not permissible for them, for indeed it is most appropriate for whoever enters or resides in a non-Muslim country to adhere to what does not oppose The Law of Allāh سبحانه وتعالى from what this State that you are residing in has enforced, as you have entered (the country) upon an agreement.

So if this (Law) you are bound by does not oppose Allāh’s Law; adhere to it and do not break it. But if it opposes Allah’s Law; then there can be no obedience to the creation in disobeying The Creator.

The Government obliges the citizens they provide homes to return the home when they leave, so the citizen cannot leave the country and not return this house or fail to inform them that he is overseas.

If they are happy for you to rent it out and collect the rent – Alhamdulillah – but if they say: ‘give back the house until you come back so other citizens can make use of it’ then you cannot rent it out without their knowledge.

So adhere to what does not oppose The Law of Allāh سبحانه وتعالى from what they have enforced.

Answered by: Shaykh Abū Bilāl – may Allāh preserve him


Answered on: 1st Dhul Qi’dah 1442 (11th June 2021)

Translated by: Abū Sufyān Sāmi ibn Daniel Al-Ghāni